VP Medical Affairs
Location: Boston, MA
Travel: 25% within USA
Akili is seeking an entrepreneurial Vice President Medical Affairs to be a key member of the senior management team. The position will play an important role in the development and commercialization of Akili’s digital medicine products and is essential to support the launch of the first FDA cleared prescription digital treatment for pediatric ADHD. This is a unique opportunity to be on the ground floor of not only a company’s growth in the market but to also develop a new paradigm in the treatment of disease. The VP Med Affairs will work directly with the Chief Executive Officer, the Chief Commercial Officer and the SVP Medical Devices. This position will be based in the company headquarters in Boston, MA.
The VP Med Affairs will lead the development and execution of a medical affairs strategy, including external stakeholder management, communication, evidence generation, publications and medical education. The VP Med Affairs will be required to travel mostly within in the USA for approximately 25% of the time.
Specific duties include:
- Providing input, guidance, feedback and support for the development and implementation of clinical trials and the publications resulting from these studies.
- Providing input, guidance, feedback and support to the commercial team and ensuring consistency and compliance of clinical content and scientific messages across publications and materials (medical review).
- Supporting the development and execution of a medical/scientific communication strategy including
- Clinical narrative framework, Scientific platform, Core content, Congresses, Publications
- Personal meetings and public presentations about Akili’s technology to clinical thought leaders
- Supporting external stakeholder engagement strategy to strengthen external understanding of the unmet need and medical value of Akili’s digital medicines to appropriate patients
- Opinion Leaders, Advocacy groups, Patient affairs, Medical societies and payers
- Supporting the build-up of Akili’s reputation as a science-based and patient focused reliable partner
- Supporting the development and execution of clinical and health-economic evidence generation strategy, including Investigator Sponsored Studies
- Supporting the development and execution of the US Akili Scientific Liaison team.
- Supporting the development and execution of medical educational strategy
- Support product development and portfolio planning initiatives including:
- Identifying unmet medical needs in other conditions and diseases where Akili technologies might be effective
- Identifying other technologies that could augment Akili technologies
- MD with two (2) years of relevant medical affairs biopharma experience including experience in Neurology/Psychiatry (esp. cognition) and ideally Board Certified in Psychiatry and/or Neurology.
- Medical knowledge and industry experience in ADHD, autism, depression and multiple sclerosis.
- Experience with stakeholder engagement and interactions (e.g. opinion leaders, advocacy groups, payers).
- In-depth understanding of scientific method and clinical applications based on medical, scientific and practical rationale.
- Familiarity with concepts of clinical research, clinical trial design, real world evidence and biostatistics.
- Sound scientific/medical judgment.
- Familiarity with regulations and guidelines that govern pharma industry practices.
Desired values, skills and experience:
- Demonstrated history of solving problems while exhibiting superior judgement and a balanced, realistic understanding of issues.
- Successful mentorship strategies & examples of developing expertise within past teams.
- Must be a proven leader with strong management skills and a polished, executive presence.
- Demonstrated record of innovation, creativity and adaptability; must be very bright and intellectually curious.
- Experience in entrepreneurial, high-growth environments is strongly preferred.
- Able to think broadly and strategically and quickly shift to “roll-up-your-sleeves” action.
- Must have proven communication skills, both written and oral, and the ability to present information clearly and persuasively to a variety of audiences.
- Possess the courage to say what needs to be said and the interpersonal savvy to maintain credibility and relationships after saying it.
- Comfortable with various personal styles; able to elicit contributions from introverts and to participate in passionate debates without taking the arguments personally or personalizing the arguments.
- Energetic and resilient with a personal commitment to achieve successful results.
- Abhor bureaucracy; able to distinguish necessary process from excessive complexity.
- Able to learn quickly and take a project from idea to execution (strategy to operational) quickly and independently; a proven track record in achieving results by working independently and collaboratively with others at all levels and from different functions.
- Strong consulting skills, including the capability to quickly identify and develop improvement opportunities and build the trust and confidence of the team.
- Excellent interpersonal and partnering skills in order to facilitate the building of relationships quickly.
- Will have high integrity and be a team player, flexible in his/her approach, and a person who values the opinions of others.
- Will have an entrepreneurial spirit and be comfortable multi-tasking and working in a fast-paced environment.
- A results-oriented, high energy, self-motivated individual would be ideal for this position.
- For best fit, the candidate must have the ability and strong desire to “make things happen”. The candidate must have a results-oriented work ethic and a positive, can-do attitude.
- Highest personal values and ethical standards.
The individual right for this job will be motivated to join a science-focused, entrepreneurial development stage company that will be a significant player in the industry. The opportunity to step into a key role in a company that is not bureaucratically bound and, more importantly, to “make a difference”, will be pivotal reasons why the individual wishes to join Akili.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Akili is an equal opportunity employer that embraces diversity and inclusion.
To apply for this position, contact us through Puretech Health.