Senior Medical Science Liaison - ADHD
Location: Boston, MA
Travel Required: 50%
The Senior Medical Science Liaison ADHD will report to the Vice President Medical Affairs and will be responsible for leading a team of MSLs and for providing a variety of external and internal customers with medical and scientific information on the appropriate utilization of Akili ADHD products. This role will work closely with the medical and commercial teams in developing
a strategic direction for the brand, and will develop an MSL strategic and tactical plan in collaboration with the medical team. It will interact externally with Key Opinion Leaders and other industry stakeholders. This Head office (Boston) and field-based position will proactively build healthcare provider support, by using a scientific approach that is aligned with the Brand Team objectives and therapeutic area Medical Plan. The MSL will need to be a credible and valued representative of Akili in a variety of interactions with key stakeholders across their regions. This role may have some exposure to future partnerships and/or acquisitions.
Specific Duties include:
- Health Care Professional (HCP) interaction and development including the development of relationships with various HCPs and providing them with credible, fair balanced, scientific information about Akili products, research activities, and product development. As these relationships develop, some HCPs will be recognized as being potential advocates for the use of our products, possible speakers or possible investigators in clinical trials. The MSL will develop strategies to develop selected HCPs as Key Opinion Leaders depending on their specific interests, enthusiasm for, or experience with our products.
- The MSL will be a major source of balanced medical information for HCPs and will be capable of issues management and addressing questions about safety and off label use of Akili products based on available scientific data. The MSL may also be involved with supporting formulary submissions for new products.
- With a field-based position, territory planning will be a key activity. This will be done in collaboration with the VP Medical Affairs along with the commercial team and will involve identifying a focus of effort and the metrics for customer calls. The plan will have to be dynamic with initial focus and emphasis on ADHD.
- The MSL will be expected to be an expert on their products and their therapeutic areas. This will involve regular and extensive reviews of the literature, developing presentations and assisting with publications and medical communications. Participation in scientific meetings will be essential, and the MSL will attend appropriate scientific congresses and conferences, and Akili therapeutic area training sessions to maintain a current knowledge base and to develop competitive intelligence on other products.
- The MSL will play a critical role in internal training and communication with the Brand Team and territory managers. Knowledge sharing, including opinion leader and site profiling, and education both internally and externally will be a key area of responsibility.
- The MSL will be responsible for assisting the Medical team in the identification of potential investigators and research projects. For Akili studies, this may include assisting in protocol development, site selection, recruitment strategies, Clinical Operations collaboration, and communication with the Brand and the VP Medical Affairs. For Investigator Initiated Studies, this may include education and facilitation of the Investigator Initiated Study process.
- Medical Doctorate (MD), PhD or PharmD preferred.
- Minimum Master’s degree and/or Health care professional background will be considered.
- Thorough knowledge of the healthcare system, disease management and medical research.
- Pharmaceutical business and market knowledge and experience considered an asset
- Excellent interpersonal, communication and presentation skills (including ability to network).
- Proven ability to develop and foster peer-to-peer relationship with stakeholders.
- Demonstrated ability to organize, prioritize and work effectively with minimal supervision in a constantly changing environment.
- Willingness to travel at least 50% of the time.
- Evening and weekend work will be involved.
- Ability to understand and summarize all aspects of clinical trials and papers.
- Ability to research scientific literature, and write reports, papers and research protocols.
- Solid understanding of GCP an industry code of practice.
- Excellent teaching skills and ability to present and discuss scientific material clearly and concisely.
- Ability to participate in a scientific dialogue with HCPs and researchers.
- Frequency of initiative and creativity is very high in KOL interactions and project development. In areas of unsolicited off-label discussion, a high degree of critical thinking is required to inform the KOL of current clinical evidence while adhering to current ethical guidelines. The MSL will have to be able to function in a highly regulated environment and to adhere to all Akili Guidelines and Standard Operating Procedures (SOP), yet be able to respond to a variety of questions and requests from health care professionals.
- Solid decision-making abilities: must decide on which clinical evidence to present in HCP meetings that will assist their understanding and expand or support their current therapeutic use of Akili product(s). Must be able to handle objections and manage issues presented by HCPs. In addition, must have the knowledge and capacity to address questions about the safety of our products and questions about potential off label use. This position will require an individual with an ability to work independently and to converse on a peer to peer basis with health care professionals.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Akili is an equal opportunity employer that embraces diversity and inclusion.
To apply for this position, contact us through Puretech Health.