Head of Engineering
Location: Larkspur, CA
Akili’s technical team is a unique blend of talented game engineers, web/mobile, full-stack engineers, architects and quality engineers that are responsible for building our treatments, systems and apps/applications that support the patient's care team. Delivery of our solutions going into clinical trial and out to commercialization.
The Head of Engineering is a newly created position - responsible for scaling and managing a thriving team that is working at the intersection of game, data science, mobile and web application development. This role is responsible for the broader technical team that includes architecture, r&d, mobile/web development, game development, tech/dev ops and software quality assurance. As a key member of the leadership team you will have broad technical expertise and leadership in game & software development, quality and innovation.
In this role you will work with key stakeholders from varying backgrounds of science, pharma, medical devices, data, game development, clinical trials and software development that are co-located in San Francisco and Boston.
The ideal candidate must be passionate about leveraging technology to improve patient outcomes in the treatment of cognitive deficiency and improvement of symptoms associated with medical conditions across neurology and psychiatry. Experience in game development, processes and pipelines is required.
Specific duties to include:
- Actively work to build, manage and mentor a highly skilled, agile cross-discipline engineering team, including finding and vetting external technical partners
- As the manager of the Functional Engineering group, work closely with Product teams to determine allocation of engineering talent across multiple projects.
- Identify skills, experience and organizational talent required to continuously improve the technology vision, processes and quality of the solutions and technical teams
- Motivate the team by providing technical direction and guidance, as well as hands-on management, recognizing the role as manager and support resource / mentor
- Partner with product management, game design, scientists, data science team and creative/UX to support the discovery, design, development of scalable solutions that go through the rigor of FDA clinical trials prior to commercialization
- Ensure all systems are architected and executed in a manner that provides an exceptional patient experiences and realizes the product vision through excellence in execution
- Minimum BA or BS in Computer Science or related field
- 10+ years of industry engineering experience, with at least 5 years in game and other software development on multiple shipped titles and minimum 5 years in a management/leadership position
- A history of strong team building, people management and leadership skills
- Ideally, experience working at the intersection of agile, HIPAA and FDA regulatory requirements
- Technical Experience: Demonstrated knowledge of at least one programming language and understanding of mobile, web, cloud computing, game or software development, and micro services
- Deep familiarity with agile development in either game development, including processes and pipelines, or software development in the healthcare field, including agile development in a regulated environment, information security and privacy, and designing and developing products for patients
- Equally comfortable working with software development, systems, operations and regulatory teams on tactical deliverables, as well as participating in and leading strategic initiatives with members of the executive team
- Experience sourcing and managing external engineering partnerships and teams
- Exceptional written and verbal communication
- Experience managing and working with remote team members
- Ability to manage diverse, simultaneous projects of varying complexities
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Akili is an equal opportunity employer that embraces diversity and inclusion.
To apply for this position, contact us through Puretech Health.