Location: Larkspur, CA
We are looking for an experienced Concept Artist to help visualize the unique and original worlds featured in Akili products. We need someone who can follow the creative process from blank page to fully realized, inspirational imagery, ready for other art team members to use as art production guides. The ideal candidate will be able to continue expanding the existing creative vision, based on an established style, as well as add their own style and creativity to brand new concept imagery.
Specific duties include:
- Communicate regularly with the design team and art director to maintain a consistent visual vision
- Create a wide range of original concepts including; character designs, costumes, turnarounds, interior and exterior environments, vehicles, objects, image paint overs, color and lighting studies, visual effects, and marketing materials
- Assist in creating the style guide for the visual direction and language to be used throughout the project
- Provide in depth research, reference material, and develop conceptual ideas to help build a visual foundation
- Serve as an active participant in team art discussions, critiques and reviews
- Contribute innovative and original ideas for the betterment of the entire product
- Produce high quality illustrations while meeting production deadlines
- Work closely with the product managers and development teams
- A minimum of 5 years’ experience in game development using Photoshop and other equivalent 2D illustration programs
- Excellent fundamental illustration skills such as drawing, painting, composition, perspective, color and light theory
- Ability to interpret and create an original and compelling concept based on verbal or written description within a given style, from the idea phase all the way to the final concept
- Ability to rapidly iterate concepts and produce a variety of quick sketches showing different approaches for the same design
- A strong ability to think in 2D and 3D
- Skill in visual storytelling
- Understanding of how to create spec sheets which call out all pertinent information for modelers, texture artist, animators and VFX artists who will work on creating the final in-game art assets
- Outstanding ability to problem solve and drive creative solutions
- Receptiveness to constructive feedback and willingness to work through an iterative process
- Self-driven, well organized, good communicator and a great team-player
- Digital portfolio demonstrating strong design skills and artistic range
- Shipped PC, Console, or Mobile Game titles as a concept artist
- Strong understanding of how game engine performance constraints can affect the visual design decision making process
- Skills in one or more of the related game art asset creation tasks – 3D modeling, texture painting, VFX sprite creation
- Ability to draw Storyboards (good sense of layout, camera framing, shot selection)
- Experience providing feedback to outsourced vendor artists
- Experience working in the Unity engine
- Bachelor’s degree in Art or Game Development
- A passion for helping people and working on therapeutic treatment games meant to deliver more than simple entertainment
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Akili is an equal opportunity employer that embraces diversity and inclusion.
To apply for this position, contact us through Puretech Health.